Statistics for Management and Economics demonstrates that statistical methods are vital tools for today’s managers and economists. To bring home this objective, several features are required to be incorporated in this book. This book has data-driven examples, exercises, and cases that demonstrate statistical applications that are and can be used by various marketing and financial professionals. The correct selection of statistical techniques and the concepts that are essential to interpret the statistical results are taught in the book. This book reinforces the problem-solving approach allowing students to hone their skills.
- EMPHASIS ON IDENTIFICATION AND INTERPRETATION WITH PRACTICAL SKILLS. With this book’s emphasis on applications rather than calculations, students can master and practice skills they can apply to real-world problems.
- CONVERT REAL DATA INTO INFORMATION. This book gives flexibility, with the optional use of computer software, to teach students how to work with larger data sets and more realistic exercises and examples.
- BOXES AND SECTIONS LIKE Factors that Identify..., APPLICATIONS in..., QuizNow. These features help in easy understanding and application of the concepts and assess their learning.
- REVIEW CHAPTER APPENDIXES OFFER HELPFUL FLOWCHARTS AND PRACTICE. Students will find exercises in these appendixes that allow them to develop their technique-identification skills and prepare for quizzes and exams.
- MORE THAN 1100 DATA SETS AND CORRESPONDING PROBLEMS TO INTERPRET STATISTICAL RESULTS. Ample opportunities to practice data analysis and important decision making using this book’s extensive exercises and timely data sets.
- CENGAGE APP. This book includes a licence key for our digital learning app that provides access to self-assessments and flashcards.
1 What Is Statistics?
2 Graphical Descriptive Techniques I
3 Graphical Descriptive Techniques II
4 Numerical Descriptive Techniques
5 Data Collection and Sampling
7 Random Variables and Discrete Probability Distributions
8 Continuous Probability Distributions
9 Sampling Distributions
10 Introduction to Estimation
11 Introduction to Hypothesis Testing
12 Inference about a Population
13 Inference about Comparing Two Populations
14 Analysis of Variance
15 Chi-Squared Tests
16 Simple Linear Regression and Correlation
17 Multiple Regression
Appendix A Data File Sample Statistics
Appendix B Tables
Appendix C Answers to Selected Even-Numbered Exercises
Gerald Keller is Emeritus Professor of Business at Wilfrid Laurier University, where he taught statistics, management science, and operations management from 1974 to 2011. He also taught at the University of Toronto, the University of Miami, McMaster University, the University of Windsor, and the Beijing Institute of Science and Technology. In addition to consulting with banks on credit scoring and credit card fraud, Dr. Keller has conducted market surveys for the Canadian government on energy conservation. His books include BSTAT, 2e, Applied Statistics with Microsoft Excel, Essentials of Business Statistics (co-authored), Australian Business Statistics (co-authored), and Statistics Laboratory Manual Experiments using MINITAB. Dr. Keller also has been published in Omega, IIE Transactions, Decision Sciences, INFOR, Economics Letters, and Archives of Surgery.
Gunjan Malhotra is Assistant Professor, Decision Sciences and Operations Area at Institute of Management Technology (IMT) Ghaziabad, India. She did her graduation from University of Delhi, and holds doctorate and post-graduation (MA and MPhil) degrees from Devi Ahilya University, India. She has attended training programs from Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, USA; Institute of Management Technology (IMT), Dubai; GSERM Global Summer School, Switzerland; to name a few. Dr. Malhotra has over 11 years of experience in teaching and research in the area of business statistics, quantitative methods, and decision sciences. She has been a visiting professor in international and national institutes of repute. She has authored research based books and contributed chapters and cases in various textbooks in the area of operations and decision sciences. She has contributed in reputed international and national journals and has also conducted Executive Education Programs for leading organizations, such as ONGC India and Amdocs, and chaired various international and national conferences.