Discover today's fascinating, challenging, and constantly changing field of mechanical engineering with Wickert/Lewis' ENHANCED EDITION OF AN INTRODUCTION TO MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, SI, 4th Edition. This engaging book helps you master technical problem-solving skills as you gain a balanced understanding of the latest design, engineering analysis, and advancements in engineering-related technology. The authors use their expertise to present engineering as a visual and graphical activity. Nearly 300 photographs and illustrations give you an exciting glimpse into what you will study in later courses and practice in your career. Meaningful content, interspersed with numerous real-world applications and interesting examples, helps you develop the solid foundation in mechanical engineering that you need for future success.
- Students examine the most recent global, technological, environmental, and social applications of mechanical engineering, such as commercial space flight, 3-D printing, design patents, career in developing fields, and globalized design teams. New and updated "Focus On" features highlight emerging trends and technologies. Students explore global technologies, recent products, and events as well as how mechanical engineers impact these developments.
- Specially formulated Group Activities in each chapter offer additional learning opportunities that encourage teamwork. Students complete work that simulates joint projects in their future careers.
- Updated design applications are developed in each chapter through effective homework problems and meaningful example problems. This emphasis on applications demonstrates how students' knowledge of engineering science can transform into engineered systems that use strong design principles.
- The authors supply an extensive array of homework problems in each chapter, including open-ended design problems and group activities.
- The authors present engineering as a visual and graphical activity throughout this edition with nearly 300 photographs and illustrations. Interesting examples offer an intriguing glimpse into what students will study in later courses and practice in their future engineering careers.
- Engaging vignettes and scenarios take a deeper look into key technologies while demonstrating the realistic application of the book's content. "Focus on" boxes in each chapter highlight interesting topics and emerging concepts in mechanical engineering that broaden the book's coverage without detracting from its flow.
1. The mechanical engineering profession.
2. Mechanical design.
3. Technical problem-solving and communication skills.
4. Forces in structures and machines.
5. Materials and stresses.
6. Fluids engineering.
7. Thermal and energy systems.
8. Motion and power transmission.
Appendix A: Greek Alphabet.
Appendix B: Trigonometry Review