Develop a thorough understanding of the mechanics of materials – an area essential for success in mechanical, civil and structural engineering -- with the analytical approach and problem-solving emphasis found in Goodno/Gere’s leading MECHANICS OF MATERIALS, ENHANCED, 9th Edition. This book focuses on the analysis and design of structural members subjected to tension, compression, torsion and bending. This ENHANCED EDITION guides you through a proven four-step problem-solving approach for systematically analyzing, dissecting and solving structure design problems and evaluating solutions. Memorable examples, helpful photographs and detailed diagrams and explanations demonstrate reactive and internal forces as well as resulting deformations. You gain the important foundation you need to pursue further study as you practice your skills and prepare for the FE exam.
- THIS EDITION PRESENTS TODAY'S BEST FE EXAM PREPARATION FOR STUDENTS. An invaluable appendix includes more than 150 problems typical in type and format to those found on the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Examination to assist your students in preparing for success on the exam.
- EXAMPLE PROBLEMS, DETAILED PHOTOS AND THOROUGH ILLUSTRATIONS CLARIFY KEY CONCEPTS. State-of-the-art graphics and photographs relate theory to actual professional scenarios so that students can see real problems alongside simplified models and diagrams for analysis. These graphics also heighten student interest and demonstrate the practical relevance of what they're learning.
- BOOK OFFERS UNMATCHED CLARITY AND ACCURACY YOU CAN TRUST. The author team has invested significant effort in designing, checking, and proofreading both the explanatory text and all supporting examples and problems.
- MORE THAN 1,200 MULTI-PART PROBLEMS PROVIDE IDEAL OPTIONS FOR HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS AND CLASSROOM DISCUSSION STARTERS. These exercises are arranged in order of difficulty and placed at the end of each chapter, making them easy to locate without disrupting the chapter’s subject matter. Problems are divided by sections for your convenience.
- THIS EDITION IS RECOGNIZED FOR ITS UNMATCHED CLARITY AND ACCURACY. The author team has invested significant effort in designing, checking and proofreading both the explanatory text and all supporting and current examples and problems.
- ALL PROBLEMS OFFER QUICK-REFERENCE ANSWERS FOR STUDENTS AND DETAILED SOLUTIONS FOR YOU. To assist your students in learning and study, answers for problems are located in the back of the book while more detailed solutions appear in the Instructor’s Solutions Manual.
- EACH CHAPTER CONCLUDES WITH A DETAILED SUMMARY AND REVIEW. These helpful summaries and review sections highlight all of the important concepts and formulas within every chapter. Students can use these quick reference summaries and reviews as valuable study aids to prepare for mid-term and final examinations.
- CONCISE CHAPTER OBJECTIVES INTRODUCE KEY LEARNING GOALS. These brief learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter direct your students’ attention to the chapter’s most important concepts and skills.
- DISTINCT, ENGAGING EXPLANATIONS FURTHER CLARIFY CONCEPTS. This edition includes a wealth of interesting, current and student-friendly examples to help your students thoroughly explore both the theories and applications within mechanics of materials.
- INTRODUCTORY PROBLEMS BEGIN EACH SECTION WHILE CAPTURING THE READER'S ATTENTION. These problems now begin the sections in each chapter and are followed by representative problems arranged in order of increasing difficulty. Sections also include advanced problems, as well as computer problems, when relevant.
- FREE BODY DIAGRAMS REINFORCE STUDENT UNDERSTANDING. These diagrams, which clearly illustrate applied forces, movement and reactions on a body, appear throughout the book. These graphic illustrations ensure students comprehend fundamental concepts from statics, which is a prerequisite for this course.
- DETAILED PHOTOGRAPHS AND HELPFUL ILLUSTRATIONS EMPHASIZE PRACTICAL ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS. Students clearly see the importance of the topics they are studying as this edition's photos and advanced illustrations depict a broad range of applications in a variety of engineering disciplines.
- THIS EDITION'S EXAMPLES AND PROBLEMS USE BOTH SI AND USCS UNITS. This book incorporates both the International System of Units (SI) and the U.S. Customary System (USCS) throughout the examples and problems, allowing students to gain proficiency using both systems.
- END-OF-CHAPTER PROBLEMS OFFER FLEXIBILITY IN ASSIGNING HOMEWORK. This edition, respected for its accuracy and thorough presentation, now offers numerous additional multi-faceted problems to reinforce the concepts and skills students are learning.
- EXAMPLES THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION DEMONSTRATE A NEW FOUR-STEP PROBLEM-SOLVING APPROACH. Students learn how to systematically analyze, dissect and solve structural design problems, as well as evaluate solutions with this helpful four-step approach. This feature further ensures students are able to develop reasonable, consistent solutions when approaching similar problems.
1. TENSION, COMPRESSION, AND SHEAR
2. AXIALLY LOADED MEMBERS.
4. SHEAR FORCES AND BENDING MOMENTS.
5. STRESSES IN BEAMS (BASIC TOPICS).
6. STRESSES IN BEAMS (ADVANCED TOPICS).
7. ANALYSIS OF STRESS AND STRAIN.
8. APPLICATIONS OF PLANE STRESS (PRESSURE VESSELS, BEAMS, AND COMBINED LOADINGS).
9. DEFLECTIONS OF BEAMS.
10. STATICALLY INDETERMINATE BEAMS.
References and Historical Notes.
APPENDIX A: SYSTEMS OF UNITS AND CONVERSION FACTORS.
APPENDIX B: PROBLEM SOLVING.
APPENDIX C: MATHEMATICAL FORMULAS.
APPENDIX D: REVIEW OF CENTROIDS AND MOMENTS OF INERTIA.
APPENDIX E: PROPERTIES OF PLANE AREAS.
APPENDIX F: PROPERTIES OF STRUCTURAL-STEEL SHAPES.
APPENDIX G: PROPERTIES OF STRUCTURAL LUMBER.
APPENDIX H: DEFLECTIONS AND SLOPES OF BEAMS.
APPENDIX I: PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS.