This edition draws from the authors' extensive first-hand experiences and relationships with executives and practitioners worldwide to highlight critical developments in the field. You examine recent advancements in supply chain fraud management, artificial intelligence, analytics, procurement automation and robotic process automation. New content also discusses supply chain fraud management and mitigation, emerging technology in real-time supply chain control towers, use of blockchain and the creation of Centers of Excellence. Carefully selected topics correspond to hiring requirements for supply chain positions today to help position you as a strong candidate.
- THE CONCEPT OF TEAMING IS EMPHASIZED THROUGHOUT THIS BOOK. Because cross-functional teams and collaboration are so critical in business today, many of this edition's case exercises require a team effort. This cross-functional influence helps students fully understand the impact of purchasing on businesses' major functional activities.
- CONTENT REFLECTS THE AUTHORS' EXTENSIVE FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCES AND INSIGHTS FROM EXECUTIVES AND PRACTITIONERS WORLDWIDE. The timely, comprehensive coverage throughout this leading-edge text is a culmination of the authors' ongoing discussions with purchasing and supply chain leaders and managers from various industries around the world.
- HANDS-ON, APPLIED APPROACH ENSURES LEARNING SUCCESS. The text's engaging approach and integrated learning features, cases and memorable examples have been thoroughly tested with student audiences to ensure that learners remain interested and actively involved in the learning process. Real examples demonstrate how supply managers deal with complex sourcing issues in the midst of rapidly changing expectations and technologies in order to become key strategic contributors in their organizations.
- STRONG MANAGERIAL PERSPECTIVE PREPARES STUDENTS TO MANAGE THE PURCHASING FUNCTION EFFECTIVELY. The text's hallmark -- a solid managerial perspective throughout the book -- enables students to examine the core tasks and challenges required to effectively lead the purchasing function in the context of today's integrated supply chain.
- THIS EDITION FUNCTIONS AS AN ONGOING, VALUABLE REFERENCE TOOL. In addition to serving as a comprehensive learning tool during class, this leading strategy and purchasing book also functions as a professional reference and resource for students after the course has ended.
- THIS EDITION OFFERS AN INCREASED FOCUS ON THE DIGITIZATION OF SUPPLY MANAGEMENT. The authors examine and interweave discussions of digitization throughout this edition, when relevant. Students examine the impact of artificial intelligence (AI), robotic process automation (RPA) and cognitive systems in the transformation of supply chain management today.
- NEW INSIGHTS REVIEW EMERGING TECHNOLOGY IN REAL-TIME SUPPLY CHAIN CONTROL TOWERS. The latest content in Chapter 16 discusses how supply chain control towers are moving beyond simply supplying real-time inventory visibility to using artificial intelligence (AI) and other advancements to enhance collaboration and better serve the end-consumer.
- NEW DISCUSSION EXAMINES SUPPLY CHAIN FRAUD MANAGEMENT AND MITIGATION TODAY. New coverage within Chapter 9 focuses on the increasingly widespread risks of supply chain fraud throughout global organizations today and details how business can protect themselves.
- NEW CONTENT LOOKS AHEAD TO FUTURE TRENDS IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT. To prepare students for advancements ahead, this edition highlights five-year forecasts drawn from learning practitioners and leading companies.
Part 1: INTRODUCTION.
1. Introduction to Purchasing and Supply Chain Management.
Part 2: PURCHASING OPERATIONS AND STRUCTURE.
2. The Purchasing Process.
3. Purchasing Policies and Procedures.
4. Supply Management Integration for Competitive Advantage.
5. Purchasing and Supply Management Organization.
Part 3: STRATEGIC SOURCING.
6. Supply Management and Commodity Strategy Development.
7. Supplier Evaluation and Selection.
8. Supplier Quality Management.
9. Supplier Management and Development: Creating a World-Class Supply Base.
10. Worldwide Sourcing.
Part 4: STRATEGIC SOURCING PROCESS.
11. Strategic Cost Management.
12. Purchasing and Supply Chain Analysis: Tools and Techniques.
13. Negotiation and Conflict Management.
14. Contract Management.
15. Purchasing Law and Ethics.
Part 5: CRITICAL SUPPLY CHAIN ELEMENTS.
16. Lean Supply Chain Management.
17. Purchasing Services.
18. Supply Chain Information Systems and Electronic Sourcing.
19. Performance Measurement and Evaluation.
Part 6: FUTURE DIRECTIONS.
20. Purchasing and Supply Strategy Trends.